Mental Health Services and Medicaid

Authored By: Colorado Legal Services
Read this in:
Spanish / EspaƱol


The following information is provided by Colorado Legal Services. It is intended as general information only, and is not meant as legal advice for any specific situation. If you need legal advice, consult an attorney.

As a person (or parent of a person) with Medicaid benefits, you (or your child) are entitled to all mental health assessments and treatment services that you need for your mental health problem from your local mental health agency, known as a Behavioral Health Organization, or BHO, listed on your Medicaid card.

If you are denied these services, or if the services provided are not enough to meet your needs or are of poor quality, you have certain rights. These rights include the right to a second opinion and the right to complain or appeal. There is an independent organization that helps people in your situation by giving you advice and helping you complain or appeal. It is known as the Ombudsman for Medicaid Managed Care. There is no charge for this service. To contact the Ombudsman for Medicaid Managed Care:

  • Call: 303-830-3560 within Metro Denver (Spanish available)
  • Call: 1-877-435-7123 outside Metro Denver (Spanish available)
  • TTY: 1-888-876-8864 for hearing impaired
  • Fax: 303-832-8352
  • Email:
  • Website:

If you need advice on this or any other legal problem, contact an attorney of your own choosing. If you cannot afford an attorney, talk to Colorado Legal Services: 303-837-1321.

Reviewed 9/11


Last Review and Update: Sep 06, 2011